Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bokeh Master

I have always wanted to take pictures with great bokeh - you know, where the subject is crisp and the background is all blurry. Okay, maybe you didn't know. I didn't know this photographic style had a name until recently. Anyway, in order to achieve the crisp subject with blurry background you need a shallow depth of field / large aperture setting.

My Nikon D40 kit lenses didn't allow me to do this, so for Mother's Day Mark bought me a new camera lens that does allow for this. I LOVE it! And Mark.

The problem is, the new lens doesn't autofocus on my D40. Well, it's our D40, but I think I've claimed the rights to it. I mean, the lawnmower is ours too, but I'm not jumping to use it. So the new lens doesn't autofocus on our D40 - you have to manually focus the lens on your subject. It's a function of the camera from what I hear, which means I'm now saving my pennies for a bigger and better camera model.

And here is why:


I was focusing on her eyes, just like I was taught. Can't you tell?

(But WOW those little foam disks Sydney is holding sure are beautifully in focus!)

Anyway, just wanted to share with you what many if not most of my pictures taken with this lens actually look like. Hope you enjoyed viewing my photographic awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments