Saturday, January 14, 2012

How babies are made: courtesy of Sydney Taylor


This morning's evolving conversation with Sydney:

"Mama, when did we buy this house?"

"When Elisabeth was one year old, sweetie. You weren't even born yet. In fact, you weren't even in my belly yet."  Sydney has a hard time conceptualizing life before being in my belly. Understandable. It's hard to envision what life was like before you entered it.  So I kind of expected the conversation to either a) stop at this point or b) enter into a battery of questions for which I wasn't totally prepared to answer.

So you can understand when Mark and I were confused when she continued the conversation with this statement:

"So I was still in the food."

Chirp chirp went the crickets.  Dead silence.  The food thing threw us off, big time.

Until she moved on and started talking about how food goes straight into your toes and then into your belly. And then into your nose.  That's when it clicked, that in the eyes of a four year old babies grow in our bellies because of special food that mommies eat.  I'm not sure how the nose thing fits in, but I am thankful that we don't actually grow babies in our noses. Imagine the stretch marks, ladies.

I love the way kids think.  Honestly, I think it makes total sense.  And that's what we're going to let her believe for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments